Thursday, February 8, 2007

Love and Leaving the Country

"Love first, then suffering, then a deeper love-thus only can God’s work be done.” –from the biography “Hudson Taylor in Early Years” by Dr. and Mrs. Howard Taylor





According to a great article about missionary adaptation, many missionaries still in the preparatory phase go through a time of reading missionary biographies and developing romantic notions about the mission field. I didn’t really experience that. But I do read the biographies now. I look for stories about situations that ring true in my own life. I think that if we’d met in real life, we’d have a lot to talk about. But at the same time, we are all so different. I have no desire to practice medicine like Hudson Taylor, or open an orphanage like Amy Carmichael, as much as I like children. And I don’t want to live in the jungle among headhunters. But I can relate to statements like the one above.

In other news…I found out today that I have to make an impromptu trip to Finland. They’re kicking me out of the country! Just kidding. I did get a text message starting with “You need to leave the country,” but it was followed by “and come back with a new migration card and we’ll register you.” So I guess it’s related to the form of registration I have. I thought I’d be able to just renew my registration here, but apparently not.

I wonder how cold it is in Finland right now?

Update: So it turns out I’m actually going to Estonia, not Finland. Should be exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just added word verification to reduce spam. Nothing personal!

You’re welcome to leave a link to your own blog here if it's relevant to this blog.

Please make sure that your comments are 1) relevant and 2) respectful (i.e. no cuss words, attacks on individuals).

Voices

 In the past month, it has been interesting to read the published thoughts of Russian friends as they've gotten their voice back upon es...