Monday, March 9, 2009

Russian customs

There are certain customs pertaining to life in St. Petersburg that I have gotten used to, but nonetheless do not find intuitive in nature.

It all makes sense, yet I still have to think about it. It feels like there is a tape recorder in my head dictating instructions: "Do this...., don't do that..."

Here are a few examples:

-looking left and right (and forward and backward) about 5 times whenever walking anywhere where any sort of vehicle might be roaming
-dressing meticulously for whichever weather is and will be
-taking a plastic bag (or two) with me wherever I go
-polishing my shoes
-changing my clothes whenever I get home or get ready to go somewhere
-always having cash on hand for transportation or groceries

For a humorous version, see a list of symptoms testifying to one having been Russified...

When I was thinking about writing this post a few days ago, the list was longer. My observations were sharper when I first arrived, and now the cultures are merging...

Voices

 In the past month, it has been interesting to read the published thoughts of Russian friends as they've gotten their voice back upon es...