Saturday, November 6, 2010

A Russian care package


My Russian friends who are from up north often say they have to "meet the train," and this means that their relatives have sent a parcel on the train via a traveling friend or acquaintance, that now has to be picked up.


The contents usually consist of something edible: canned goods like jam and pickles; berries, etc.

Well, my roommate had been complaining about missing foods from "home" (up north), and then the other day we got a parcel containing salami, smoked fish, and pressed deer meat.

My roommate showed me how to take the head and skin off the fish before eating it. I like the taste, although I'm not sure I like the process...

5 comments:

  1. I don't know about the deer meat, but my kids would go crazy for the rest of that meal.... I must say I get those heads off prior to their arrival on the table, but I even like the smoked fish, honestly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My roommate says it is tastier when you do the removal with your fingers rather than cut into it with utensils, which mashes the bones into the flesh. But you could still delicately remove the heads beforehand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The entire process of slaughtering animals for consumption is a bit sketchy, and it provides an interesting irony: squeamishness preceding enjoyment and satiation.
    I never thought about it in quite that way before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would argue that the squeamishness comes from how we DON'T "slaughter" animals nowadays; we just buy the meat, not being completely sure of its origins. Perhaps it IS a bit odd that people raise animals for food for other people. It would be a different psychological experience to raise your own food, knowing it was for feeding your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute post! I was just looking for some good courier services Dallas and I came across this post. It’s interesting how food can also be delivered safely. I am also looking for a service that will help send some food items to my nephew in one day. I don’t want the food to travel for more days.

    ReplyDelete

Just added word verification to reduce spam. Nothing personal!

You’re welcome to leave a link to your own blog here if it's relevant to this blog.

Please make sure that your comments are 1) relevant and 2) respectful (i.e. no cuss words, attacks on individuals).

Voices

 In the past month, it has been interesting to read the published thoughts of Russian friends as they've gotten their voice back upon es...