Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Notice anything?


It's okay if you didn't. :)

I've just taken the plunge and switched over to a current generation Blogger template. The design probably doesn't look very different yet as I'm focused on transferring all the content over.

Why did I do it? I was using an old, highly customized template. I liked my template. I'd gone in and tweaked the code before the template had all of those options in the menu. But the code was such a jumble that I couldn't mess with it anymore. And the latest Blogger functions wouldn't work, which was frustrating. I could no longer find workarounds, but I couldn't use the ready-made versions either.

The funny thing is that I had created a 3-column blog before that was an option in Blogger. Now that they do offer it, I've gone back to 2 columns. :)

How I made the switch: I set up a dummy blog so I could work on the design before losing the old one. I also started to recreate everything in the sidebars, but got impatient and just copied/pasted some of it into Word to wait until I feel like entering the link lists item by item (it doesn't save correctly otherwise, which is annoying). Then I just cut and pasted the new template into my old blog. No back-ups or anything.

I did lose a few elements...

-my "Key Posts" list. Does anyone remember what should be on there? I'm trying to reconstruct it as best I can, but I know I'm missing something.
-my label cloud. I wish I had copied that code! The Blogger one isn't what I wanted and it's hard to find a hack with the code I need.
-how the blog looked in detail. I could have taken a screenshot or something. It's okay, though. My new blog is going to look a little different, I just liked the old one, too.

Anything else I might have forgotten to transfer?


4 comments:

  1. Here's a copy of your blog as of March 25th. It shows the Key Posts you had back then.

    https://web.archive.org/web/20140325170439/http://lizinstpete.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! That's kind of creepy, but cool. Thanks! I was hoping there might be a techie who would know something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did he DO that???? I liked your label cloud, too. Yours was the first one I EVER saw. EVER. You can imagine it impressed me highly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could figure out how to make the labels different colors (according to frequency), it would create that cool fade-out effect like on my old one.

      Delete

Just added word verification to reduce spam. Nothing personal!

You’re welcome to leave a link to your own blog here if it's relevant to this blog.

Please make sure that your comments are 1) relevant and 2) respectful (i.e. no cuss words, attacks on individuals).

Voices

 In the past month, it has been interesting to read the published thoughts of Russian friends as they've gotten their voice back upon es...